What To Do If Your Boston Eats Gum!

by Colleen Fernandez

in Health Problems

A lot of people never even think about this … until it happens to their dog.

Chewing gum that contains artificial sweetener can be toxic to dogs. So don’t let your Boston Terrier get a hold of it!

The toxic ingredient is called Xylitol. It’s still being determined how much the dog would need to ingest, before it’s considered toxic. As I always say, it’s best to avoid giving your Boston Terrier human food altogether, but if you simply must do it, avoid all food with artificial sweeteners.

Animals that ingest a large amount of Xylitol may develop a sudden drop in blood sugar. This drop in blood sugar may result in depression, loss of coordination and seizures.

Symptoms develop very fast- within 30 minutes. So, if you suspect that your dog has ingested too much Xylitol, you should see your vet immediately.

The ASPCA warns animal owners that Xylitol, can potentially cause serious and even life-threatening problems for pets. As with any potentially toxic substance, it’s important to contact your local veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center for immediate assistance.



Previous post:

Next post: